Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Deco Tower, Dublin


Deco Tower, DublinI spotted this building in Grafton St, Dublin and took an instant shine to the polygon shaped tower topped with a flagpole.

I also like the use of brick columns between the windows as a contrast to the white stone used on the rest of the facade.

This website has a great picture of the building from the 1930s and this website reveals a bit more about the building's former life, especially that it was once Nobletts Sweet Shop.

In the recent years the ground floor shop has been a Newsagency and I presume the upper levels have been used as offices.

But I keep getting drawn back to the tower. I wonder how big it is inside and what sort of a view of Dublin it offers.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know we have this in here! Great blog - I started to get some interest in Art Deco lately and your photo collection is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't find much deco in Dublin but this tower and the Gas Building are very nice.

    ReplyDelete