Saturday, March 29, 2008

Old Deco Advertisment, Talbot


I found this old Art Deco ad as we detoured off the main road to check out the town of Talbot in goldfields of Central Victoria.

You can just make out that is for Henderson’s which I guess was a garage of motor car sales room. I could be completely off the mark and I’d love to find a similar advert in a newspaper to find out more about Henderson’s.

The ad says stop that galloping and a picture of a 1920s car with perhaps a plane flying over it. If you look carefully there is an even older ad painted underneath this one. You can just make out a larger version of the car covering the front part of the small car and stretching up towards the plane. There is also some very faint writing at the top of the ad but I can’t make it out.

I like to think this is a true Art Deco that has survived into the 21st Century and just shows you that sometimes you need to step of the well beaten path to find something interesting.

2 comments:

  1. what an incredible example of a lost art. i would have loved to have been a broadside painter. the idea of creating original art to be enjoyed by all is most inspiring. i love these remnants of a much more pleasing time in advertising history and use fonts, images and styles found in broadsides often in my own work. oh, and thanks for the sweet comments on my blog. i've got quite a bit more art deco pieces in the studio soon to be posted....cheers.~ cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cara,
    I couldn't believe it when I first saw the side of this house. We had to back up the car and have a good look. It is great that the people who live here now have kept it and in my view it is great that they have not tried to renew it.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your promised forthcoming art deco pieces. Cheers, David

    ReplyDelete