Friday, March 28, 2008

Ararat Town Entry Signage

The Ararat Advertiser reported on 25 Mar 2008 that the Ararat Rural City Council had adopted a new design for signage on the main road entrances to the town.

The design incorporates details from Ararat's Art Deco buildings in front of a Mount Langi Ghiran backdrop. It already features on flags in some of the town's roundabouts and three dimensional installations of the new design will be located at each of the five main entry points to the town.

Ararat is a former gold-mining town located in rural Victoria on the Western Highway and is recognised as the Gateway to the Grampians.

The Advertiser article reports that several Councillors did not like the new design and one even said it left her cold.

I love it. The colours are subtle and it uses town Art Deco assets to provide unique branding for the town. The concept of Rural Deco has become quite popular in recent years with the concept most notably at Innisfail in Queensland and Ranfurly on the South Island of New Zealand.

Congratulations to Ararat Rural City Council I look forward to visiting the town in the next few weeks and see their Art Deco buildings for myself.

3 comments:

  1. Hi David
    Went through Ararat on the weekend and was surprised that you do not feature the Ararat Hotel in the main street in artdecobuildings. I took some photos - rather poor - expecting to look at your (better) ones on my return. Do you know the hotel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,
    I do know the Ararat Hotel, in fact my photo of it was included in the Art Deco buildings slideshow at the NGV during the Art Deco Exhibition. My picture isn't that great either. It was an overcast day when I took it but I'll dig it out and do a blog post soon.
    Cheers,
    David

    ReplyDelete